[DeTomaso] Dead rim

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 16:48:20 EDT 2017

Charlie, find another shop - preferably a race shop that's familiar with TIG-welding magnesium castings. The key is to COMPLETELY remove the existing crack or defect before attempting a weld. Otherwise, the whole casting will unzip ahead of the weld gun. Maybe call Roger Brottan in England? IMHO, that OEM wheel is worth sending to the U.S. for repair, if it hasn't been bodged too badly by amateur welders. I once got a magnesium McLaren wheel that had been so badly mucked-up by someone trying to weld it with aluminum, that it WAS unrepairable- and irreplaceable. Good luck-