[DeTomaso] oiling main mods

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 2 10:35:38 EDT 2017

Will Kooiman said…  If you¹re pushing your engine hard (racing, not passing a Prius on the

highway), do it.  Mike Frasier broke a camshaft at one of the road races.

Was it because his camshaft was starved of oil and it seized?  I don¹t

recall the failure analysis.

Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday.  There I was…

  That was at the Big Bend ORR.  I was in a long right hand sweeper right at 140mph. 5600 -5700rpm I think.

I heard just a click and the car shook like you ran over a small bump in the road.  I saw the oil pressure falling,

and shut it down and coasted off the course.  I tried a restart and it fired and came to a decent idle for the few

seconds I let it run.  I actually ran it for a few more seconds to get it on the trailer later that day.

 This engine was an actual Boss351 with screw in freeze plugs and everything FWIW. It had the oil line we’re discussing.

I had turned it into a V6.  The can sheared right behind the last bearing.  That section of the cam blew back through the rear plug and just hung there out of the way.  Two lifters fell and were shattered by the crank while everything else stayed on top. There was a small chip in the bottom of one cylinder skirt about ½” high and wide, out of the swept wear area. The crank had a smudge like mark on one counter weight and one connecting rod had made contact on the head

of the bolt.  I didn’t see any valve marks on the piston faces, but it’s hard for me to believe there wasn’t some

contact.  All the bearings looked good except the back cam bearing that took a beating while cam section visited.

That’s all the damage I found.  I was very very lucky I didn’t have the whole bottom blown out on the

pavement.

The cause?  It may have been something very simple.  I had not been inside this engine before other than

pulling the pan and looking around.  I was impressed with what I saw.  There was a lot of first class work there.

The day before the race I had been having timing problems.  John Taphorn and I tried setting it while driving

with the front cover off!  It just seemed erratic.  I ran it the next morning and it was strong right up until it wasn’t.

So what happened?  While tearing it apart I found the cam thrust plate bolts loose and the plate moving around.

I’m sure the cam was walking around.  That’s my story anyway.  Any thought?

Almost everything is still usable, so a 1951 Ford F1 Rat Rod truck will technically be Boss351 powered one day.

Michael