[DeTomaso] Not Starting-Check Battery

jgkrenton at comcast.net jgkrenton at comcast.net
Wed Jul 26 10:38:34 EDT 2017

Thomas, David et-al:

The alternator indicator light on a stock wired Pantera is also part of the "Voltage Sense" circuit that helps the alternator start when the engine is started. If the bulb burns out the sense line doesn't work and the alternator may or may not start depending on the characteristics of that particular alternator. (You may have seen alternators that wouldn't start until the engine was rev'd a bit. Some won't start at all without a sense line connected.)

The DeTomaso factory included a big ceramic resistor (something like 10 ohms or something, I need to check the schematic) across the light bulb. This resistor is there to ensure the alternator gets a strong start signal and will still start if the bulb fails. Of course if the wire breaks, there is still an issue.

I suspect many of these resistors have disappeared over the years. If you are having problems with an alternator that doesn't want to start charging, you might want to ensure the resistor is installed and functioning.

FYI

Jeff 2467