[DeTomaso] Generator light

Thomas Tornblom thomas at hax.se
Thu Jul 20 13:35:52 EDT 2017

The indicator lamp is connected between the alternator and switched
power and indicates the voltage difference between the alternator and
the switched circuit. With the ignition on, engine off, the alternator
is at 0V, the switched circuit is at battery voltage, thus there is a
nominal 12V over the lamp, and it is lit. With the ignition on, engine
running, both voltages are nominally at 12V, thus no voltage across the
lamp, and it is off.

If, for some reason, the alternator voltage is higher than the switched
voltage, the lamp will also be lit, likely very dim as the voltage
difference will likely be low. This can happen with marginal connections
on the switched side and high current draw, like headlights on, fans
running full blast.

As Mike says, the ammeter indicates if the battery is being charged or
discharged, as long as there are no consumers wired directly to the
battery, in which case that current draw will incorrectly be shown as a
charging.

Thomas