[DeTomaso] Slow cranking when hot

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 07:21:05 EDT 2017

Me three... I also have that issue.

To me, it isn't a problem, it's a feature... if you see your engine getting
warm, turn the lights off and the temp goes down by 15 degrees!

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso <

> [...]
>
>    I first noticed how my water temperature would jump up about 15 degrees
>    the moment you switch on headlights.
>
>    I measured instruments supply voltage at the bottom fuse on fuse panel
>    (with car not running) and it is 11.8v without headlights on, dropping
>    to 11.3v with headlights on.
>
>     I will look further into this and make more measurements with car
>    running and try to find out where the voltage drop comes from.
>
>    It is probably a good idea to install some fused relays next to the
>    battery and run headlights trough those.
>
>    For starting issues I will first check all the big ground connections
>    and see if it comes back again; if it does, will make sure to have
>    voltmeter in the car to measure voltages at the battery and at starter
>    during cranking.
>
>    All the best, Robert
>
>    On Jul 17, 2017, at 5:59 AM, [3]MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:
>
>    In a message dated 7/16/17 2 49 18, [4]npdrs at maui.net writes:
>
>      Thanks for all great suggestions, I will check one by one, starting
>      with battery, grounding......
>      What is strange that it had this problem 3 times on first day, but
>      it never happened again on second and third day of the trip....car
>      definitely got just as hot on those days!?
>
>    >>>Robert,
>    I think there is much that has been left unsaid in your story.
>    Isn't it true that you live in Hawaii and your Pantera lives in Europe,
>    and you visit it occasionally and drive it for awhile?  And isn't it
>    then true that you came to your car this week and turned the key for
>    the first time in a long while, and then experienced the problem on the
>    first day, but not on the subsequent days?
>    If I have that correct (it's supposition based on things you have said
>    in months/years past), then the problem is likely an obvious one--you
>    had a weak battery from sitting for a long time.  It was strong enough
>    to start the car when cold, not strong enough initially to start when
>    hot.  But after driving for a few hours, your alternator was able to
>    return the battery to a fully charged state, and therefore it's
>    subsequently working just fine.
>    Is that a true statement?
>    Was your ammeter deflected towards the 'charge' side on the first day,
>    indicating that the alternator was pouring energy into your battery to
>    try to get it back to a fully charged state?  Is that deflection less
>    now?
>    If I lined up all my guesses correctly, you don't really have a problem
>    other than improper car storage.
>    Do you have a battery cutoff switch?  I have had tremendous luck with
>    those, extending the life and the fully charged state of my batteries
>    to an almost endless degree.  Even when you don't have any obvious
>    electrical 'parasites' on your car such as a clock, alarm system etc.,
>    when a battery is left connected, it slowly drains.  A cutoff switch
>    isolates it, and it seems to retain its charge almost forever.

-------------- next part --------------
   Me three... I also have that issue.A
   To me, it isn't a problem, it's a feature... if you see your engine
   getting warm, turn the lights off and the temp goes down by 15 degrees!

   On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Mike Drew via DeTomaso

     A  A Robert,
     A  A I have the water temp increase deal too:
     A  A [1][2]https://youtu.be/UQcKtI20T8g
     A  A  I need to ground the instruments locally which should fix it,
     but just
     A  A never get around to it.
     A  A Mike
     A  A Sent from my iPad