[DeTomaso] Slow cranking when hot

jgkrenton at comcast.net jgkrenton at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 10:54:36 EDT 2017

All:

I've run into this sort of problem on several cars. Given that it's not a cooked starter, it often is the ground connection on the engine block. This connection is the one that sees the biggest changes in temperature and is often over-looked when people are cleaning battery terminals etc..

The best solution I've found it to put the engine ground connection on one of the starter mounting bolts. That gets the ground as close as you can to the starter case, which of course is the biggest current draw on the engine.

All the battery terminals need to be fastidiously cleaned. The solenoid, external and internal connections can be troublesome too.

The Pantera, due to it's battery location is a prime target for grounding issues. It would be best to run a ground cable all the way from the battery negative terminal to the starter bolt. But as we all know, that is a long and difficult wire pull. Use the biggest diameter/gauge battery cables you can.

A few minutes with a volt-meter checking the voltage drop across each and every battery cable/ground connection while cranking will usually show the culprit right away. I recently did this with a buddy's vehicle that was experiencing starting difficulties. We had less than 6 volts at the starter under load. Almost all the losses were on the ground side cables. Even the starter housing to engine block had a bit of a drop across it. (just a bit of oil can be a problem. )

Good luck. The Dolomites are wonderful!!

Jeff 2467.