[DeTomaso] Replacement mufflers???

Scott Mead Photography scott at scottmeadphotography.com
Thu Jul 13 23:53:34 EDT 2017

Larry - chalk this up to "don't do what Scott did, unless you want to completely lose your hearing:"

Several years ago, I was in your same dilemma, with the exact same setup. I took my GTS mufflers to a local can shop, and they cut them open and gutted the innards. I really didn't notice a boost in power, but the tinny resonance was gone - the main issue I had with the exhaust.

Unfortunately, the shop did a lousy job (they didn't clean up the inner rust) and the mufflers started to go the way of the Dodo Bird. Around the same time, my Pantera seemed to become a rental car target. I had several close calls with Island visitors who didn't see the low car next to them.  I remembered seeing Bayani Panis' car the year before on Oahu, and he had a shop fab a set of Flowmaster 40s (or 44s - can't remember exactly) with GTS tips, and it looked and sounded awesome. However, they a bit larger than the stock Pantera exhaust.

Looking online, I found the Flowmaster 10 cans were about the right size, so I ordered a couple, got a set of GTS tips from Hall and had another shop fab up the pipes. I had a feeling I had made a slight mistake, when the shop owner told me his neighbors complained about the "noise" the race car was making.

Changing to the Flowmaster setup had had its pluses and minuses: I never had to worry about potential rent-a-car pinball, the car sounds nasty at idle and it certainly draws heads. The downside is that (now that the car is on the Mainland) the somewhat annoying booming harmonic around 3,000 rpm is now more like a front row seat at a Metallica concert, with the amplifiers turned up to aggravated ear assault. I now wear ear plugs when on the highway.

So, to get off this rant, I will probably switch to a set of Wilkinson's stainless GTS pipes. As I understand, they have less baffling than the original ANSAs, and the harmonic isn't there. I'm hoping someone who has a set will chime in with their experiences.

Mahalos,

Loud, proud (and dead) Scott

Sent from my iPhone