[DeTomaso] Rear wheel bearing special tool

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Thu Jul 13 14:11:36 EDT 2017

Emiliano, loose running rear axle bearings are one of the facts of life with unmolested Panteras. Due to the leverage in our suspensions, only 0.001" of wear will result in a detectable rear wheel wobble, and since the bearing race is hardened steel and the axles are not, the wear only gets worse once established. It came from originally fitting outer rear stub-axles that were machined with the wrong press-fit dimensions. They need about 0.0005-0.0008" interference fits, and most shops don't even own a micrometer capable of reading such numbers. About half of all OEM Pantera axles are made looser than that. Actual breakage is not unheard of. Aftermarket axles are machined closer to what's needed (I still check them!) and are made of better steel. I suggest you get an aftermarket unit and put that problem behind you.  Good luck- J DeRyke