[DeTomaso] ran hot

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Jul 11 18:23:12 EDT 2017

Bill,

Your post is confusing.

Your car would not turn over. Dead battery. That's normal for a dead battery.

You jump started it and it ran fine but the ammeter was pegged. That's normal for a dead battery (but definitely not good for the system as the alternator pumps tons of power into trying to recharge a dead battery).

You don't upgrade an alternator because of a dead battery--it died from lack of use and failure to maintain it with a trickle charger or battery tender. Replace the battery if it won't hold a charge. With a fully charged battery, your ammeter may show a slight discharge at idle with lights, fans etc all running but should show positive charge at anything above idle. It won't peg except for perhaps for a few seconds after a hard start.

90a is more than plenty. People who fit 150A or more alternators are kidding themselves, as the car (with a properly charged battery) can't consume anywhere near that much.

And if the battery is dead, then a high power alternator can easily overload the system attempting to recharge it.

Or so it seems to me (immortal words from Guy Dellavecchia)....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone