[DeTomaso] FW: TwinTurbo Pantera motor cash or trade

Dick Koch redcatman74 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 11:26:08 EDT 2017

This motor might sound good to some folks but buyer beware.

First, this is a 1970s pull through carburetor configuration, which was my
first turbo configuration I did in 1976, which by todays standards is an
antique, hard to tune and effectively control knock.

Also, in looking at the turbo plumbing, and unless my eyesight is failing,
there is no way this motor will fit into a Pantera with stock sheet metal.
If the seller claims it will fit in a Pantera, a potential buyer should ask
for pictures of it installed in a Pantera.

Ken showed a picture of my second turbo iteration that included the
Electromotive engine management system, providing the spark and fuel
management that is the standard for any late model fuel injection system
needed to optimize and control a forced induction motor.

My third iteration used much of the hardware from the second iteration,
with the addition of a nitrous/methanol "intercooling" system, rerouting
the air intakes, installing blow off valves, and completely redoing my
exhaust system among a few other things to optimize the performance of the
motor and the drivability of the car. My latest iteration can be seen at:

http://www.panteraplace.com/Tech%20Info/KochWWA3.JPG

I bring up my experience to caution any potential  buyer that to make this
motor work in a Pantera will cost them an arm and a leg to reconfigure, to
first make it fit in a Pantera, and second to bring the engine management
and control system into the 21st century.

The only value I see in using this motor in a Pantera is the base motor
itself without all the turbo plumbing, possibly using it as a base from
which to start building a motor or used as spare parts. But hey, that's
just my opinion

Now for all the folks that know the status of my car, flame away. I have no
excuses for why it hasn't moved out of my garage for quite a while except
as an electric powered car..

Dick Koch - Atlanta