[DeTomaso] Tapered ring compressor

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 06:19:38 EDT 2017

On mine, the half shaft is not a tube. It¹s a solid piece of 1.25²
diameter bar.

It looks like this image:  http://dazecars.com/dazed/halfshaft.jpg

Mine is not welded.  It looks like it is a solid forging.

The U-Joints were intact.  Only the bar was twisted.

I¹ve seen pictures of a twisted tube axle from a Cobra that had been drag
racing with a high-HP engine and slicks.  Ugly outcome.  I only saw the
axle picture.  There wasn¹t a picture of a wrecked car, so maybe he shut
it down before crashing.

Incidentally, a solid axle is not much stronger than a tube of the same
diameter.  But, a tube wrinkles when it fails where a solid axle would
just twist until it finally twists too far, and then it should snap.

On 7/5/17, 12:02 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Mike Drew via DeTomaso"
<detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of