[DeTomaso] Tapered ring compressor

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 00:30:57 EDT 2017

Jack - my Cobra halfshafts are not cut and re-welded.  They appear to be
forged.  They are solid, 1.25”.  They have the original Jag part numbers,
and I even found some on ebay less than 10 miles from my house.  But I
don’t want to replace the half-shafts with another pair that will also
twist.

BTW, it doesn’t shake, shimmy, or do anything weird, even with the shaft
twisted a bit.  It’s currently smooth as butter.

As I understand it, it is pretty common for drag racers to twist axles.  I
don’t know if they still do it these days with super strong axles, but I
heard they used to paint a line down the axles so they could see how far
they had twisted.  I don’t have to do that, since each end has a U-joint
that doesn’t move, so it’s pretty obvious when they twist.

I plan on having half shafts made in 2.5” tube.  That’s about as big as I
can go w/out moving the springs out.  But that’s a project in the future.
I have a few others in front of it.