[DeTomaso] Tapered ring compressor

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 01:21:23 EDT 2017

By the way, I checked today and the rings are 1.5mm, not 1mm.

And I¹m still using the wooden end of a hammer to install, but it¹s just a
light tapping.  It¹s so light that I thought I could just push them in,
but it isn¹t quite that light.

One more interesting note.  I drove the Cobra to Arkansas last
Thanksgiving.  Round trip was about 3,500 miles.  The back right starting
squealing kinda weird off and on as I made it back to Miami.  It would
only squeal for a few seconds.  It started squealing more often about a
month ago, so I took the rear-end apart to replace everything that wears.
It¹s a Jag rear-end, similar to a Pantera, except that there is only a
lower control arm.  The upper is located by the half shafts.  The
squealing was the seal race.  There¹s a race that fits against the hub to
allow the grease seal to seal.  It had dried out a bit, and was rotating
where it wasn¹t supposed to rotate.

As I got it apart, I noticed that the half shafts had twisted about 30
degrees.  Apparently the 428 has more torque than the Jag it was designed
for.  While I was in Arkansas, I ran down the strip 2 times, so that¹s
probably what did it.  I put it back together, twisted and all.  This is
currently my daily driver (rain permitting), so I¹ll drive it sanely while
I have some half shafts built.

On 7/1/17, 12:14 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Ken Green via DeTomaso"
<detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of