[DeTomaso] Stubborn Pilot Bushing - Success and Thanks to All

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 12:40:07 EST 2017

Thanks to all for the many suggestions to help me remove the recalcitrant
pilot bearing/bushing.  In the end the finish was fairly uneventful.

I had trashed one bearing puller in the initial attempt, and having little
luck with the second, more robust unit, put the call out for help.  With the
first bearing puller I did manage to gut the bearing assembly, leaving only
the outer race at the center of the carrier.  I talking to Dennis Quella
about the problem, he told me the carrier was cast aluminum, but once out,
it feels awfully heavy to be aluminum.

After a few attempts at "modifying" it with a large chisel, I chucked up a
cobalt-tipped drill bit and hit it a few between the race and the carrier to
relieve some stress (mine or the bearing, I didn't care at this point).  I
really wasn't able to drill that far in, so thought I'd give the puller
another try, and did manage to hook the back edge of the race enough to draw
that out (on the right, attached picture).  Once done, it was easy to use
the puller again to get a solid hook in the two notches at the back of the
carrier, and it finally popped out.  No hammering, but far too much time
spend scratching my head on this one when I couldn't be there to work on it.

Thanks again all.

Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest
Yellow '74 #6328