[DeTomaso] FANTASTIC brake rotor news!

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 15:12:12 EST 2017

Actually…….

The Mustang rotors will install just fine on the rear of a Pantera.

I installed this rotor on all four corners some years ago.

Yes, it is smaller than the stock rear rotor. Maybe 3/8” diameter difference. I have measurements somewhere. Will post if I can find them.

So……. yes, the rear brake pads do not fully contact the rotors.

While the outer portion of the pads is thus unswept by the rotor, and with wear will develop an outer ridge of un-worn material, I’ve experienced no noticeable problems with the mis-match.

An occasional, simple visit to the bench-top belt sander and….voila, no more ridge.

Yes, it does reduce the total pad contact area, so in theory it would diminish braking effectiveness.

But the swap gives far better heat shedding, and if you add some Porterfield R4S pads, the end result will likely be overall improved braking performance.

YMMV

Flame suit on.

Larry