[DeTomaso] NPC - Troubleshooting OBDII "Lean Bank 2" Code

Doug doug351c at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:26:15 EST 2017

Hi Guys,

I'm asking "the collective" for ideas on where to go from here on a problem
with my 1998 Mustang Cobra.

About a year and a half ago, it started throwing a P0174  "Lean Bank 2"
Check Engine code and I've done the following in an attempt to fix it.

After each mod was made, it took about 180 miles of driving for the code to
reappear (since this code means the ECU hitting its max long term enrichment
limit).

The car otherwise drives fine, so once this limit is reached, it's still a
very enjoyable drive.

Doug Braun

Blue 73L #5505

DATE            MILES         REPAIR

Sep2014   87,000   Replaced IAC IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve - Autozone
Duralast TV228

Oct2014    88,000   Replaced Mass Airflow Sensor - Autozone/Cardone 74-9524

Jul2015    105,000   Replaced Throttle Position Sensor - O'Reilly - BWD
EC3025P

Jan2016   111,095   Replaced both Upstream O2 Sensors - RockAuto/NTK 22016

Feb2016   111,762   Replaced Intake Air Tract Temperature Sender (IAT
Sensor) - SMP

                              Replaced Coolant Temperature Sender (Sensor) -
SMP

                              Replaced Spark Plug Wires

Mar2016   111930    At this point, I took the car to a professional Garage.
They found a

                              bank 2 intake manifold leak and replaced the
Intake Manifold Gaskets

                             (manifold to runner + runner to head + upper
Intake).

                             Replaced the Plenum Seal.

                             Had Dr. Injector http://docinjector.com/ clean
& flow match the Fuel Injectors.

Apr2016   112,105   Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator - Motorcraft

May2016   112,385   I bought one new coil pack and used it to temporarily
replace each original coil pack.

                               With the new pack in each location, the code
reappeared.

Dec2016   112,840   Replaced Fuel Pump Assembly - Airtex (sock filters,
wiring harness, case, flange & gasket)