[DeTomaso] Longchamp spyder questions....

Mark Charlton pantera01826 at rogers.com
Mon Jan 9 18:01:32 EST 2017

Hi Patrick,

Until a real expert jumps in, here are my answers to the best of my knowledge.

>  1. Were the Spyders ( type 1 and type 2 ) built AT or BY the factory ,
>   or were they built - (i.e. converted ) A  at /by PAVESI in Milano ?
>   Where there any conversions by other body shops ?A
All were converted by Pavesi as far as I know.

>   2. Does anyone know how many spyders with narrow fenders were built ?
>   And with “wide body" A ?A
While I don’t know exactly how many Spyders were built, I do know (from a factory letter dated June 1992) that 11 of them only were GTS/GTSE so the rest were all narrow.

>   3. Did they all come with 8 inch wheels in the front , and 10 at the
>   back ? Were the wheels the same as the Pantera ( how many slots ? )A
> Only the GTS/GTSE received 8” and 10” wheels (same as the Pantera wheels). All “narrow” Longchamps received a different 7” wheel (same as the Deauville I believe)

>   4. How does it feel driving ? With the ZF ? With the 3 speed automatic
>   gearbox ? How about the handling ? A drunken ship , or "something
>   reasonably vague " due to the weight and the lack of chassis rigidity
>   ?A
My car was one of the 10 (again, based on a factory letter which contradicts common belief that there were 17 manuals) was built with a ZF 5-speed. NONE of the 5-speed cars were Spyders so if you find one, it was converted later (as many Longchamps have been). In my opinion, the Longchamp is a very nice handling car. Of course I am NOT comparing it to a GR4 Pantera… The ride is very compliant. The power steering is a bit on the numb side, but does make the car feel very light and agile.

>   5. Did they all originally come with LHD, and the RHD were later
>   conversions , performed at the factory / at Pavesi ?A
This I do not know except that there were RHD cars.

>   6. Has anyone experienced the conversion from RHD to LHD or vice versa
>   ? Has it ever been done, like it sometimesA A happens on the Pantera (
>   Mike Miller …. )
I can’t really help with this, but ANYTHING can be done with enough money.

>   7. I have been told by a present owner, that no less than 3 different
>   types of engines were used on the first models . True ?A  What engines
>   ? Which one is the best ?
That is the first I have heard this. As far as I am aware, ALL Longchamps received the 351 Cleveland V8. Perhaps they meant the various compression ratios as were changed through the life of Cleveland development?

>   8. Any suggestion to discreetly improve the handling if need be, while
>   keeping the original look A  ?
Why would you? It handles fairly well as-is. New bushes and stiffer springs will tighten it up, but perhaps you will like the “luxe” ride as it is. I certainly do.

>   9. Does anyone have a copy of the service book ? The chassis, brakes
>   A and suspensions are totally different from a Pantera. Where can we
>   find original spares ? Where did A Alejandro buy some of the components
>   ? ( from what other brand ? Alfa, Lancia, Peugeot ….???A
There is not a service book that I have ever seen. There is a Parts Book, usually available on eBay but as usual, it lists only the De Tomaso part numbers. There are some shared parts with the Pantera (Group3 brakes, exterior door handles, tail lights, GT5 seat hardware and some other small bits throughout). Other parts that are not unique to the Longchamp/Deaville were “bin-sourced” from other Italian or European cars (Ford Granada or Audi headlamps (4 round) and signal lights, various switches and so on).

>   10. How about the brake calipers and disks ?A
Group3 Pantera as far as I am aware.

>   In the EU , prices presently vary from a mere 35.000 euros for a wreck
>   ( a coupe) A in Germany, to 185.000 euros ( a concours GTS cabrio ) in
>   Switzerland. What is , in your opinion, a fair price for a fair cabrio
>   ( not concours, but in good driving condition )
They are so rare that if one comes up for sale, then that is what the price is. If you buy it then it was “worth” that price. :-) I think anything over €100K had better be a very nice car indeed, in my opinion.

> How would you rate the
>   purchase of a Longchamp as an investment for the years to come A ?A
I think there might be some room to grow in value, but it’s more likely the price peak has been reached for a while. Those of us who loved these cars in our youth are getting on, and that is why so many cars are being sold now (I believe).

>   Any additional suggestion or remarks welcome

I think they are beautiful cars. SO much easier to get in and out of than a Pantera. They have room for 4 ACTUAL adults AND a fair load of luggage. The 351 pulls the car along beautifully with the 5 speed ZF, but I understand the 3 speed auto box is pretty unimpressive.

A photo of mine is attached below.

Cheers!

Mark Charlton
pantera01826 at rogers.com

     ?
[...]

   anything over EUR100K had better be a very nice car indeed, in my

   [1]pantera01826 at rogers.com
   [cid:49271FBB-D1A7-430F-B06F-7FD41C52E375 at no-dns-available.example.com]

   ,
[...]
   (