[DeTomaso] Longchamp spyder questions....

Patrick HALS patrickhals at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:22:59 EST 2017

I have interest in one of the less known DT models, the Longchamp Spyder
GTS ( or GTSE ? ), type 2 ( VIN's 3000 and above ) .
I think that this car, as a convertible, deserves more recognition than it
presently has, ( so do all the DT's in general ) and I know that I am not
only one sharing this idea  :>))) . It is a spectacular car in cabrio ( I
like the coupé less , but I am obviously a cabrio fan, whatever the brand )
, it is spectacularly rare,  it should be a very fast 4 seater, ( just
because of the engine that we all love ) and the look is absolutely
stunning, even ( and this is rare ) with the top on !  . Two or three years
ago, I had acquired a beautiful Aston V8 cabrio from 1984, with a fantastic
and beautifully designed engine ( so they say.... )  and that was a
terrible disappointment when i drove it. It was heavy, lacked power and
torque, lacked precision in the driving, however all the suspension
elements had been professionnally replaced... it felt like an overloaded
boat carrying too many anchors .... I just hope the Longchamp does not feel
the same on the road, due to its enormous weight . When I look at the
announced weight, and knowing how Italians are romantically optimistic ( I
am part of them, so to speak  ) I am afraid of the possible result ....
I have gone over almost everything I could easily find on the net over this
model, and also consulted my old original 1994 Bill Van Ess registry that I
preciously keep in my library. I of course, consulted Chuck's precious
registry, but still, there are some important and unanswered questions.
BTW, I noticed that the Longchamp section was not as "clean" and "user
friendly" as the Pantera section, and if possible, I will be gladly
cooperating to improve it if possible, for our community.
Well, the result I have gathered so far is quite uncomplete , and there are
some basic questions that remain unanswered.
So, my dearest "think tank" , here I am...
1. Were the Spyders ( type 1 and type 2 ) built AT or BY the factory , or
were they built - (i.e. converted )   at /by PAVESI in Milano ? Where there
any conversions by other body shops ?
2. Does anyone know how many spyders with narrow fenders were built ? And
with "wide body"  ?
3. Did they all come with 8 inch wheels in the front , and 10 at the back ?
Were the wheels the same as the Pantera ( how many slots ? )
4. How does it feel driving ? With the ZF ? With the 3 speed automatic
gearbox ? How about the handling ? A drunken ship , or "something
reasonably vague " due to the weight and the lack of chassis rigidity ?
5. Did they all originally come with LHD, and the RHD were later
conversions , performed at the factory / at Pavesi ?
6. Has anyone experienced the conversion from RHD to LHD or vice versa ?
Has it ever been done, like it sometimes  happens on the Pantera ( Mike
Miller .... )
7. I have been told by a present owner, that no less than 3 different types
of engines were used on the first models . True ?  What engines ? Which one
is the best ?
8. Any suggestion to discreetly improve the handling if need be, while
keeping the original look   ?
9. Does anyone have a copy of the service book ? The chassis, brakes  and
suspensions are totally different from a Pantera. Where can we find
original spares ? Where did  Alejandro buy some of the components ? ( from
what other brand ? Alfa, Lancia, Peugeot ....???
10. How about the brake calipers and disks ?
In the EU , prices presently vary from a mere 35.000 euros for a wreck ( a
coupe)  in Germany, to 185.000 euros ( a concours GTS cabrio ) in
Switzerland. What is , in your opinion, a fair price for a fair cabrio (
not concours, but in good driving condition ) How would you rate the
purchase of a Longchamp as an investment for the years to come  ?
Any additional suggestion or remarks welcome
Many many thanks to all, and Happy New Year from freezing Brussels  !
Pat
Candy 2862
ADA 9628