[DeTomaso] Theoretical question of the day

j g notstock at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 27 15:02:02 EST 2017

Ok:
Sort of! A well tuned carb will make as much or more Hp than a fuel injection system depending on the design and the particular engine dynamics.a carburetor is designed to flow fuel based on the mass flow of the air through the venturi's , if the mass flow of air exceeds the main jet mass flow of fuel dictated by the jet size carb etc: then the system will begin to lean out. In general one can take a carburetor and place a good carburetor like a weber , set the main jet , the idle jet and  a basic emulsion tube  number  on the bench and with average air corrector jets the carb will run correctly on most engines that the main and booster venturi's have been sized for . If the cam is pretty wild or there are resonances in the intake or exhaust system then these will require either richer jetting , different emulsion tubes ( determines when the main  fuel circuits transfer ) and different air correctors . On certain carbs ( like DCOE and some holley) the accelerator pump nozzles are used for full throttle enrichment above what the main jets can or will flow. These are usually in either a booster venture  or right out in front of the main venture. Thus WOT performance can be hindered or helped by the pump nozzle and jet size.  starting to flow because of low pressure moving up the carb (away from the throttle plate) at wot. So, if the carb has been set up for normal wet flow and a specific fuel air ratio on a bench flow set up at a specific flow it will do that regardless of the  air filter or any other restrictor , what happens is that the flow and pressure ratio through the carburetor changes as a function of the restrictions and can dramatically effect both reversion and wot performance at a specific rpm and spark timing.Kind of a little  information on very wild straight and short individual runner systems carburetor or EFI , I have seen that due to reversion pulses at part throttle a longer intake horn above the carb. throttle body or a conical common air filter box actually improves hp and throttle transient response because the air flow reversion pulse is damped by the trapped air mass inside the filter box , so with a filter is better than without in this case.
jg