[DeTomaso] Theoretical question of the day

jgkrenton at comcast.net jgkrenton at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 12:40:15 EST 2017

Charles:

RE: "If this is so, why would Holley make a jet change set and why wouldn't one size fit all?"

Many extensive books have been written on this subject. The jet size is dependent on lots of things, air density, (temperature and altitude/pressure) humidity, float level/fuel pressure, specific gravity of the fuel (Pure gasoline vs 10% alcohol, vs pure alcohol, car gas vs airplane gas etc etc.) cam profile, timing, compression ratio and lots more.

All of these add up to subtle changes in the ideal s toichiometric air to fuel ratio for the best performance for that particular engine and chassis. Is it a race car where maximum power is needed only at full throttle, but runs at full throttle all the time, or is it a economy car where minimum fuel burn and good idle is the goal?

It's a very complex issue and zillions of dollars have been spent on solving the issue. The common Holley has taken a rather simplistic approach to the problem which makes it relatively easy to tune, the Weber on the other hand had a much more sophisticated methodology to manage the air/fuel ratio and is thought by many to be the ultimate in "analog" non-electronic carburetor systems. Webers can be difficult to tune due to the number of variable items in the carb. But once you get them right they are wonderful.

Taking off the air cleaner may in some cases improve the air flow and increase the over all flow through the carburetor, but the venturi in the carb is the final determination as to how much air the carburetor can pass. The jets will provide appropriate fuel up to the limits of the venturi.

As many modern air cleaners are well designed "velocity stacks" in disguise, sometimes removing the air cleaner increases the turbulence at the entrance to the carburetor actually decreasing the maximum amount of air that can pass through the carb.

Modern EFI systems actively manage this air to fuel ratio depending on many factors and provide the best ratio for any condition and fuel.

Good luck, it's an interesting area to study and a good understanding of it will help you have a much more enjoyable hobby with the Pantera.

Jeff/2467