[DeTomaso] I found the problem

Fred Foreman fred4man at att.net
Sat Feb 25 13:03:38 EST 2017

A loose harmonic balancer makes it hard, no impossible to set the timing.  I
found this out about 2 years ago when checking my timing.  Bought a new
Pioneer balancer from Summit and ORiley's loaned me the tools to remove and
install them.

For peace of mind I double checked the TDC marking on the balancer - my own
way.  I had heard of whistles placed into a spark plug hole but I didn't
have one.  I put the engine at TDC for #1 which was easy to access behind
the alternator.  Removed the spark plug and, rather than putting in a hard
object to find TDC of the piston, I found a fitting to go into the spark
plug hole and ran a 1 foot piece of clear plastic tubing from the fitting.
It went into a 1/2 full clear plastic soda bottle propped behind the
alternator.  If I moved the crank 1/16" (well, it was a very short distance
on the circumference) either way of TDC I could see the water going up AND
down the plastic tube 1/2" (hence the requirement for clear plastic parts).
I played with it several times going back and forth with the crank.  That
told me the TDC mark was actually at TDC since the water up-down movement
was centered on the TDC mark.  Don't turn the engine very much since you
don't want to suck any water into the chamber.

Fred Foreman