[DeTomaso] Brake light switch and the power of laziness.

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 16:29:12 EST 2017

After agonizing over how to fix the brake light switch or how to
install a GM switch on the pedal with some scrap steel I decided to
just go ahead and buy a switch from Precision Proformance inc and
install it.  It arrived 2 days later, and it was a quality part.  When
I went to replace it I was stymied.  However I am supposed to remove
the bracket and get the switch in position for easy replacement
looked... well impossible but I know that isn't true.  But I did
notice some surface corrosion and I played a hunch.

I cleaned the terminals but the clips were just worn out from age and
work stress (like me) so while I want to preserve the old look of the
plastic envelopes over the clips I don't feel bad about replacing the
clips themselves.  And I'm going to have to do that as part of this
job anyway.

I cleaned everything up, put it back together and now I have brake
lights.  I'm keeping the new switch though, it may be a fluke that
they started working and I may have to swap it out anyway.  It's a lot
more fun to drive with a brake light switch.

Also when I was driving I smelled some burning rubber.  It turns out
that the fan belt is ummm.. for some reason on the wrong pulley at the
balancer. I'm fixing that but noticed that my water pump hoses are
swollen and the clamps corroded.  I mean, I just replaced those in...
in 2001.  Wow.

I guess I'll write back after I get the car on a rotisserie and sent
it out for soda blasting :)

sean

--
'65 Suprang,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382