[DeTomaso] fuel injection fuel pump in gas tank

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:47:04 EST 2017

I would say the answer to your question regarding worry is; it depends, but EFI pumps do not like to run dry, it significantly shortens their life.

Is this a street or race application? Higher g forces would obviously increase the fuel riding up the tank and more likely to create a situation where the pump could run dry.

What is the shape of the tank? A long flatter tank will have more tendency to slosh fuel around when low.

How easy is it to access and replace the pump if need be?

What type of pump are you using, internal bypass or external fuel pressure regulator? Try to have any external bypass return mounted relatively close to the fuel pump pickup.

Typical modern systems place the pump in a well or sump to provide constant head of fuel. You might consider fabricating a baffle around the pump, a simple open top/bottom box with the pump mounted inside is a big help to retain some fuel in proximity to the pickup for short deviations, that is assuming you are not running at speed on an oval! Think of it like your Pantera baffled oil pan pickup. Alternatively you could also place foam in the tank to help prevent fuel slosh.

Any good quality automotive electrical wire should hold up just fine.

Julian