[DeTomaso] Maserati and Pantera tail lights

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Dec 31 16:25:33 EST 2017

All,

I’ve been buying, restoring and selling the GRP4 taillights for over ten years. I’ve sold about 100 pairs. Recently shipped a set to Norway and another to San Diego.
I currently have a good inventory of NOS and used.

Alfa Romeo (AR) introduced this style/footprint of taillights in 1967 on their Berlina 2000 and Berlina 1750 models.

2000 style has horizontally-divided running/brake and signal lights; 1750 style has vertically-divided running/brake and signal lights.

All the Ford Panteras used the Berlina 2000 style. The GRP4 style came from the Berlina 1750. Both styles came in USA and Euro versions.
As USA DOT did not, at that time, allow any amber rear lights, both USA versions had a red-red-clear lens instead of the Euro red-amber-clear.

Originally made by Carello, at some point Altissimo also produced these lights. I’ve received both in sealed AR packaging.

DeTomaso, like many small-number automakers, sourced the AR lights for their projects.

Maserati, at some point, had some lights made that incorporated the Maserati crest in the glued-on reflector, other than that the lights are the same for all the other users.

AR 1750 and 2000 housings are not the same, rubber gaskets are not the same, lenses will not interchange, but both have the same footprint and wiring.

There are, as has been noted, reproduction lenses for the 1750 and 2000 versions. They are made in Italy by a firm called “PV”. They mimic the Carello style but the castings are not nearly as crisp,
the chrome edge trim is not high quality and…. yes, the red or amber tint is …..sprayed….. onto the inside of the lenses. OEM lenses were somehow made with a thin veneer of red or amber incorporated into
the clear casting.

I know of no one reproducing OEM-style housings or gaskets for either version. Hall Pantera sells a GRP4 set with a totally flat SS, made-in-house housing and the PV repro lenses.

The repro lenses, IMHO, are a poor substitute for OEM and overpriced, at that.

As the Berlinas are now about 50 years old, not too many used pieces are showing up. They still can be found, but in far less numbers than ten years ago. A large part of my recent buys have been NOS stashes.

If you wish to source your own set, get ready for a lot of searching. And please be aware that the amber tones, and to some extent the red, for both manufacturers, can widely vary to the point of being quite noticeable.

I ONLY deal with the 1750/GRP4 style of lights. If you are interested in purchasing a set, or just have questions, please feel free to contact me here on the email list or direct email.

Happy New Year to all.

Larry