[DeTomaso] Bad news

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Dec 15 22:29:53 EST 2017

In a message dated 12/15/17 19 05 19, adin at frontier.net writes:

> Suffering from low O2 (I have been told) I fell asleep driving the
> Pantera
> home from a paint match appt. Through a fence, through the cedar forest,
> downed a sign,  through a cable fence (amazing I wasn't decapitated!),
> through the air over a driveway and parked in a tree.  What we call . . .
> the Finch?
>
>>>Oh, WOW!!!!   That is so terrible!   I feel so bad for you.
>
> >Insurance says car is totaled, Jim D. says it can be fixed. Options: part
> it
> out or fix or sell as a project?
>
>>>I think Denny Finn can probably salvage it.   The question is, is it
worth it?   Or should you part it out and start over with a different car?
Definitely do NOT let it go to the crusher!!!   At a minimum you need to buy
the wreck back and part it out.   It's amazing how much the individual
components of the car are worth.   I helped (and am continuing to help) a friend
part out a car that was in a head-on collision.   The rear of the car was
okay--the doors, quarter panels, and rear panel were sold for more than the
cost of purchasing the wreck; the engine he kept, the gearbox he sold, and
numerous other parts, so he already made a profit (plus he got to keep the 408
stroker engine for himself).

And there is still a decklid hanging in my garage looking for a home, plus
loads of other parts (I have taken in all the leftovers and am acting as his
'agent' to help find a good home for them)

That said, if it can be fixed I think it should be fixed.   See if the
insurance company will give you the total salvage value minus $1 and let you
keep it without a salvage title?

> >Other than some pulmonary issues, that is all the news.
>
>>>You missed the important thing--it sounds like YOU are alright!   I'm
sorry you had to suffer this fate but I'm glad that you (apparently) escaped
unscathed.   Having driven your car before you bought it, I recall that it
had four-point (or maybe five-point?) safety harnesses.   Can you describe
exactly how you fared physically and how well (or poorly) they did their job?

Again, I'm glad you're okay.   Sooner or later you will be back in the
saddle--if not this car, then another one....