[DeTomaso] 1985 De Tomaso Pantera For Sale in Kokomo, Indiana

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 11:33:35 EST 2017

With intermittent and such few sales it's a difficult task to value the later lower production cars and their relationship with early ones, but as they say a rising tide floats all boats.

Each car has it's own nuances that will appeal to a particular buyer, but originality seems to play an important role in appealing  to a wider mass. That suggests to me it is 'collectors and investors' that are driving prices, but unfortunately probably not actually driving their purchases and thus likely missing out on the real experience of ownership. Condition, provenance, production numbers all play a role in sales price and you really do have to pick apart each sale to get the big picture of prices e.g. Andy May's car was one of ~17 RHD, how much of a premium did that add?

Everyone remembers the high point and many owners immediately assume their car must be worth the same, even though it has been sitting in the back lot unloved for the past 20 years! At the end of the day if you can find one of these cars in the right condition that works for you, pay what you are comfortable with and please enjoy it for what it is, it seems so few late model cars even see the light of day now.

Post the sale of Andy's car Jack Sharkey (Pantera Miami) was reported (by himself) to have paid $250K for 3-4 GT5-S cars for clients, but we don't know how much he was just talking the market up. Private sales are notoriously hard to document and since that reported flurry of sales the market seems to have stalled a little. There's 2 or 3 5S cars that have sat on eBay at $215-25K for a while, one's all white (wheels, bumpers the whole kit and caboodle) the other non original. That said Pantera Miami has recently purchased the blue GT5-S out of the UK, that car needs work and the seller was holding out for GBP160K (US$215K), no idea where is sold at. But Jack posted publicly on the PI forum he's going to tart it up and make it a record breaker because it's the 2nd to last GT5-S built.

For a the later cars there's a GT5 (highly modified) and GT5-S coming up in the January auctions, which might be an indication of current perceived values on the respective day relative to the blood alcohol content of bidders.

https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1989-de-tomaso-pantera-gt5-s/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0118-312581/1985-detomaso-pantera/

Julian