[DeTomaso] Record price? (warning: tired, opinionated, ranting reply)

Steve Lisa stevelisa at patentit.com
Tue Aug 22 21:32:39 EDT 2017

I agree completely - I looked for a long time for a car like Asa Jay's
(SN5533) --  I wanted a car that was original, but driven, maintained, and
not something I would feel the urge to "restore" and stick in a garage.
And, the poor thing, SN5533 is really getting abused now....Things will
break, will need to be repaired, and will break again.  The car is showing
up to the vintage races in street legal form, with its license plate and
insurance current.  We drive it to the gas station for gas between
sessions.  Then drive the crap out of in the races.

The number 1 response from people:  "Geez, do you really want to do this to
a Pantera.... its so rare.  How cool.  Don't see many of these on the
street, let alone racing door-to-door."  But, few people realize how really
affordable (in the scope of buying and cost of ownership) a Pantera is.
That makes it a lost easier to drive like it was meant to be driven - not
parked in the garage.  Plus, I think MOST Pantera owners feel that same
way.  Unlike the Ferrari crowd (of which I am also a member), the buyers
down the road typically aren't as worried about how much the Pantera has
been driven, but rather, want one that is proven to drive well.

A good reason for that is this group of truly dedicated owners that are
almost rabid about the brand and helping each other.  Again, unlike the
scores of Ferrari owners - most of whom don't know anything about how to
actually maintain their cars (other than a mileage/maintenance card in the
glove box).

Again - -thanks to this group for making it easier to actually feel good
about driving the car hard.  Also - best wishes to those headed to the SSC.

Regards,

Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
Direct: 312-320-5888

<http://www.patentit.com>

*Scottsdale Office* | *P*: 480.535.6656  |  *F:* 480.535.6628  |  *A:* 7689
East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

*Chicago Office *|* P:* 312.752.4357  |  *F:* 312.896.5633  |  *A:* 55 E.
Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
www.PatentIt.com

This email is intended only for the recipient above, and may contain
confidential and privileged information. If you received this email in
error, please destroy it and indicate such by return email to me. Thank you.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Himes, Terry (397C) <
terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> [...]
>     or neglect a car just as efficiently as several)Low mileage
>     (meaningful only when buying modern used cars, otherwise it's hearsay.
>      We all know it takes about 10 seconds to disconnect the odo cable on
>     a Pantera)Useless and inferior original tires, tool bags, jacks, spare
>     tires, owner's manuals etc.  (I have all that stuff in boxes in the
>     garage only cuz I know this crap adds value)Never driven (somebody
>     bought it new and parked it as an investment?  wtf?) Take the Elvis
>     Pantera with the bullet hole in the steering wheel, sitting in a
>     museum basement or collector barn somewhere--  is this not more sad
>     than anything else? "Pathetic, washed-up, pill-popping celebrity
>     singer in a petulant fit of rage takes a perfectly good Pantera and
>     instantly turns it into a curiosity."  Blammo!  Car is now permanently
>     out of commission and only for the silly reason that lots of dumb
>     people think the story is really cool.   (sorry Elvis lovers!) True
>     love of cars is best expressed by driving them, sharing them with the
>     world as one is able to and maintaining them in as good condition as
>     possible.  If you don't do that, it means that what you truly love is
>     not the car at all.  What you really love is money.  For this kind of
>     "car guy", collectible cars are just an interesting way to have fun
>     buying and selling as some kind of extravagant hobby. This guy who
>     paid $200K for this Orange 74--  is he going to get it on the road?
>     Is he going to join POCA and drive it to a fun rally?  Or is it going
>     to sit in a really nice barn somewhere?
>     Heck with the money, people.  Get in the car, pick up your buddy and
>     go for a spirited drive on a winding mountain road.   Catch the look
>     on his face while he tries to keep from crapping his pants.  This is
>     priceless. Then later if you're feeling brave enough, let him drive
>     it.   THAT is being a car guy.
>     A few weeks ago, an old friend of mine called out of the blue and soon
>     showed up with his 12 y/o daughter.  We talked a bit and then he said
>     he wanted to show her my Pantera.   Well, I knew that what he really
>     wanted was to check it out himself.  I clicked open the garage door
>     and his eyes lit up.  Smiling ear to ear, he opened the car door, slid
>     himself into the cockpit and grabbed the wheel without even asking me.
>      It was like he couldn't help himself.  The car just sucked him right
>     in, which is exactly how I feel about the Pantera.  (Just sitting
>     there, the car always seems to be saying:  "Hey!  What are you
>     standing there for? Get in!  Let's go!") When that kind of thing
>     happens-- people showing that kind of enthusiasm, it's just super
>     cool.  It makes me feel so lucky to own a Pantera.  I'll be taking him
>     for a ride sometime soon and if he's got the guts I'll let him drive
>     it.   How could I not?
>      Sent using Hushmail
>     On August 21, 2017 at 12:34 PM, "Tom Cabanski"  wrote:RM Auctions

-------------- next part --------------
   I agree completely - I looked for a long time for a car like Asa Jay's
   (SN5533) -- A I wanted a car that was original, but driven, maintained,
   and not something I would feel the urge to "restore" and stick in a
   garage.A  And, the poor thing, SN5533 is really getting abused
   now....Things will break, will need to be repaired, and will break
   again.A  The car is showing up to the vintage races in street legal
   form, with its license plate and insurance current.A  We drive it to
   the gas station for gas between sessions.A  Then drive the crap out of
   in the races. A
   The number 1 response from people: A "Geez, do you really want to do
   this to a Pantera.... its so rare.A  How cool.A  Don't see many of
   these on the street, let alone racing door-to-door." A But, few people
   realize how really affordable (in the scope of buying and cost of
   ownership) a Pantera is.A  That makes it a lost easier to drive like it
   was meant to be driven - not parked in the garage.A  Plus, I think MOST
   Pantera owners feel that same way.A  Unlike the Ferrari crowd (of which
   I am also a member), the buyers down the road typically aren't as
   worried about how much the Pantera has been driven, but rather, want
   one that is proven to drive well. A
   A good reason for that is this group of truly dedicated owners that are
   almost rabid about the brand and helping each other.A  Again, unlike
   the scores of Ferrari owners - most of whom don't know anything about
   how to actually maintain their cars (other than a mileage/maintenance
   card in the glove box). A
   Again - -thanks to this group for making it easier to actually feel
   good about driving the car hard.A  Also - best wishes to those headed
   to the SSC. A

   Regards,A
   Steven G. Lisa, Esq.
   Email: SteveLisa at PatentIt.com
   Direct: 312-320-5888
   [1][SGL-Email-Logo.jpg]

   Scottsdale OfficeA |A P:A 480.535.6656A  |A A F:A 480.535.6628A
   |A A A:A 7689 East Paradise Lane, Suite 2, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

   Chicago OfficeA |A P: 312.752.4357A  |A  F: 312.896.5633A  |A  A: 55 E.
   Monroe Street, Suite 3800, Chicago, IL 60603
   [2]www.PatentIt.com