[DeTomaso] Question about installing Dodge Colt mirrors on #2163

Ed Lyerly ed.lyerly at nctv.com
Tue Aug 22 16:53:12 EDT 2017

When I purchased #2163 she had a set of aftermarket mirrors attached with
adhesive directly to the non-functioning vent window glass.

I did not like them and since the original mirror mounting holes were still
in the door, I removed them and purchased an original mirror for

the drivers door.  I thought I would see how that looked and perhaps add a
second original side mirror to the passenger door.

I don't know if it is just me being 6'3" .. but the original mirror in the
stock location was practically useless, plus it didn't look that good

(to me) anyway.

I recently saw a picture of a Pantera that I understand has a set of
1979-1983 Dodge Colt mirrors.  I liked the looks so I've been scrounging for
a set.

Today I found one for the drivers side at a salvage yard.  After bringing it
home and placing it in the approximate location against the vent window
glass

I'm a little confused about how to attach it.  On the Dodge Colt donor car
there was a bracket that attached to the door (could be glued to the vent
glass

in my case) and the mirror and case just snapped in place and was locked
there by a screw on the bottom side.

The issue is .. if I do it that way there will be a gap of approximately
1/16" plus the chrome edge of the attachment bracket that shows at the top.

My thinking is to just eliminate the bracket and smooth the backside of the
mirror housing where it meets the vent glass, Then use adhesive to attach it
directly.

Could someone who has done this mirror conversion suggest the best approach
?  I've attached a couple of photos.

Thanks,

Ed