[DeTomaso] Chassis

Joseph F. Byrd, Jr. byrdjf at embarqmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:01:32 EDT 2017

As for the stock bushings....
Your last comment had me question my thinking so I did check the shop manual
(attached excerpt).  The torque for the stock is 58ft-lbs for a 12mmX1.75,
which is a fairly normal (if not a little high) for a "structural" fastener.
IF, the recommended clamping force was indeed low, then it is possible the
intent was to have the bushing "self adjust" so that it is in a more neutral
before final torque though, which also seems to me to be needed.

Also thinking...
Has anyone ever measured the "spring value" of a stock bushing, i.e. the
force required to flex the a arm and possible the deflection/load at which
the bushing fails

Interesting coincidence...
As I have been recently contemplating how to make a "press" to remove the
stock bushing without having to first cutoff the outboard end