[DeTomaso] Inner Front Wheel Bearing Shield- Needed or Not?

B. SEIB oldwheel at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 15 23:27:24 EDT 2017

I think Les Gray already solved this mystery shield/washer issue in his post
a few days ago?
I was doing my own wheel bearing service at the time. My April 72 car had no
such splash shield fitted, so I consider it a late option and went without
worrying over it. I don't plan on fording any streams in the Pantera and
it's not going out in the winter salt and slop. ;>)

Thanks to Les Gray!
Barry

[DeTomaso] Stoptech rotor scrape

  The mentioned "washer" is NOT a washer. This item is a splash shield that
came on later 1974-1974 Panteras to address the issue of early front & rear
wheel bearing failure due to water intrusion getting past the seal.
       There was a TSB about this as a retro fit onto early cars.
  ---Front part number:
D36Y-1190-A (inner)
TSB Bulletin 9/Article 71

Rear part number:
D36Y-1180-B (inner)shield              D36Y-1180-A(outer)shield
D36Y-4020-A(outer) bearing retainer plate
Bulletin 9/Article 68
 **** All found in TSB****

    Best regards,
           Leslie A. Gray