[DeTomaso] Someone is scamming people with my name AND my car!

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 17:27:52 EDT 2017

Unfortunately it is rife throughout the internet and getting worse as social media grows. Just this morning I got a LinkedIn invitation from a Chuck Melton, but it said he worked at Slickpaint (Bill Gaino's shop), these people are piecing together information from the web and trying to get in to extract your information to be the next victim. I scrutinize every email 'from' field to ensure it is who it is portrayed to be, these scam artists have all the artwork and logos down.

Anyone can snap a photo of a car, license plate and VIN tag and then advertise that vehicle online. It seems often nowadays people are far more comfortable conversing via email, Twitter, Messenger etc. than picking up a phone and talking to a human being, it just lends itself to these sort of scams. Then some people are gullible too, thinking they have a deal of the century.

Craigslist is a scam artists nirvana, I won't touch anything that doesn't have a phone number listed in the ad. That said it would probably be good to do an all states search on De Tomaso or Pantera say weekly and post to the list. We are a small community and most are aware where certain cars reside, owners and whether actually for sale and if it prevents someone getting scammed it's a good day for a future Pantera owner.

Julian