[DeTomaso] Stoptech rotor scrape

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 19:57:07 EDT 2017

In a message dated 8/1/17 3:31:56 PM, audionut at hushmail.com writes:

Hey guys--
Just finished putting the left rotor on and the top forward edge of
the caliper is scraping just a tiny bit on the rotor causing about a
1/8" thick scratch mark.
As instructed by Mike D., I removed the stock shim between the caliper
and it's mount.   The rotor can be turned by hand but turning it is
slightly more difficult than usual.   Not sure if this is something
that will simply grind away after a time or if I should get into
filing down the caliper. John73L #5909

>>>Hmm.   I'm not quite where where your scraping is coming from, based on
your description.   Is the very outside of the rotor scraping on the
underside of the caliper where the two caliper halves join?   Or is the edge of the
rotor (friction surface) touching the inside edge of the caliper somewhere?

I just popped Lori's front wheel off for a look-see and measurement with
feeler gauges.   (See attached photo).   There is .082” clearance between the
top edge of the rotor and the underside of the caliper on the outermost
side; there appears to be slightly more clearance on the innermost side.
Although that's slightly less than stock, it's still a bunch of clearance, nearly
1/10th of an inch.   If this is where you are having contact, I can't
understand why.   Numerous people have installed these rotors and I am not aware
of anybody having any contact issues.

Are you sure the caliper is what's touching the rotor?   On another car,
the tin splash shield that runs all the way around the back side of the rotor
was slightly bent, and although it would clear the stock rotor, it touched
the Stoptech rotor just slightly.   Bending it back to its original shape sol
ved that problem.

If, in fact, your problem is due to contact in the area I'm referencing in
the photo, then yes, you could probably clearance it using a small file with
no ill effects.

Note that in the photo, although it's difficult to see, the caliper is
almost perfectly centered on the rotor.   The stock shims had to be removed to
achieve this due to the slightly different rotor offset.   If your problem is
that the caliper isn't centered on the rotor, then perhaps your inner
bearing race inside the hub isn't fully seated.   Did you install new bearings,
or are you reusing your old ones?   If they are new, that might be the
problem.   I would think that torquing the large nut (or rather, overtorquing it)
might get the bearing to seat fully, but the better solution would be to
remove the hub and make sure they are seated all the way.

If the rotor is offset to the other side (that is, it is scraping on the
inside edge of the caliper) then perhaps using the stock spacers will do the
trick for you--you just gotta do what you gotta do to ensure the caliper is
centered over the rotor side-to-side.   If it's touching radially, then you
may need to remove material from the center of the caliper as I said before.
 But still that seems pretty odd to me….