[DeTomaso] Best racing brake pads for the stock calipers and vented rotors

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Apr 28 20:51:46 EDT 2017

   I ran the Porterfields, but if you run the stock rear calipers, you
   MUST file down the pin on the pad.  Porterfield welds a small pin on
   the back of the pad that prevents the caliper locking mechanism from
   turning to the unlock position.  On a stock DeTomaso pad, there is a
   "bump" welded to the back which is already low enough not to damage the
   caliper piston.  The pin welded on by Porterfield is too long and will
   punch a hole in the piston if not filed down.
   Otherwise, I really liked the Porterfield.  They held up fine for me
   during a Race School several years ago, and they moved me from the
   beginner group to the next group up on day two, really pushing me and
   the car.  Lots of really hard braking that day... and a couple of
   inexperience-induced spins.
   I had fun though. :)
   Asa
Asa Jay Laughton - W7TSC, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
Spokane County ARES/RACES Net Manager
[1]http://w7tsc.org
[2]http://www.teampanteraracing.com