[DeTomaso] Hall Header Donuts

Craig Campman ccampman at cox.net
Sat Apr 22 13:39:28 EDT 2017

Hi Chuck,

I also have the Hall headers and muffler combo and have fought for years with the donut gaskets squeezing out and causing exhaust leaks. Last year while at a local muffler shop known for great work, the owner heard my tale of woe and created two short tubes to keep the donut centered. He cut two short lengths of tube with an OD to fit in the donut, and then used his machine to adjust the diameter of half the length of tube so it would slide into the pipe that goes from the header flange to muffler. Once inserted into the pipe, the donut goes on and the assemble is bolted to the header with the original Hall flange hardware.
I have been running this setup for the past year and the donuts stay in place. I have attached four photos showing the small tube and application. Although it reduces the header flange cross section a bit, the tradeoff of not having constant exhaust leaks at the donut is worth the price of admission to me.

Regards,
Craig Campman
Red '73  #5303

[...]

   [cid:0CA4C0BB-3323-4E90-A869-70CF99BBCAC8 at san.rr.com]