[DeTomaso] De Tomaso prototype V-6

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 21:11:58 EDT 2017

Guys,

Further to our discussion a few days ago, here is a photo of a prototype
V-6 engine developed by De Tomaso.   It uses the Ford Cologne V-6, as used in
the Capri, as its base, but converts that all-iron cam-in-block pushrod
configuration to an overhead valve setup with bespoke aluminum heads.

Induction is by a pair of Weber 40 IDA three-barrel downdraft carburetors.

As far as I know, Ford never asked De Tomaso to do this for them; he was
always coming up with ideas, and I'm sure he was hoping to cultivate his
relationship with Ford to branch out in new areas.   Since it was relatively
cheap and easy to get prototype castings made in Italy, I'm sure his engineers
dashed this design off quickly.   I have no idea if this engine ever ran
(although I suspect it did), or if he was ever able to show it to Ford.   I do
know that it never went anywhere, and remained yet another in an endless
series of De Tomaso engineering cul-de-sacs.

De Tomaso did make a handful of Ford V-6-powered Pantera prototypes (the De
Tomaso 270 and 290), so it's possible this engine was used to power one of
those, as details about those cars are very sketchy.