[DeTomaso] Detomaso SOHC heads?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 16:53:16 EDT 2017

Don't lose sight of the fact that those SOHC heads seem to be mounted on Windsor straight-valve heads with less efficient combustion chambers & smaller valves & ports than 351-Cs. SOHC .doesn't always yield big power. A decade before, Jack Brabham converted the Buick 215 from pushrods to SOHC for his open-wheel Repco GP cars, and won the Championship twice, even though he admitted to being down by up to 40 bhp over his competition. Brabham said the switch was for reliability over pushrods rather than for extra power. And it's certainly easier with straight valves such as the 351-W & Buick rather than canted as in the Cleveland.
J Deryke