[DeTomaso] Steering wheel shimmy

Tom Baranek Garage tbaranek at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 14:54:28 EDT 2017

On my 1973 Pantera, I replaced the steering rack washer (with the brass one) YEARS ago.
The tires/wheels do not feel out of balance and the shimmy in the steering is more pronounced (when it is there) when I turn the wheel/change lanes. Sometimes going straight at highway speeds (and above) the steering wheel is often rock solid/smooth.
I have Pantera East 17" Campy replicas and am sure they are true, etc...but I will have them checked. Since the vibration goes away completely (sometimes), I'm thinking it is in the bushings or something like that???
Any known/obvious things I should check?