[DeTomaso] Urgent brake booster replacement

B. SEIB oldwheel at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 15 15:10:10 EDT 2017

Mike
I had ideas about using a 308 Ferrari booster myself a while back, but when
I looked at my friend's 308, it was a 4-stud model that looked otherwise the
same as our Pantera ones.

So...I bought a new booster, sold to me as a Pantera one. It came and it
also had 4 mounting studs in a square pattern but was brand new. It is also
slightly larger in diameter, but you wouldn't notice that visually unless
they were side by side. Our Pantera master cylinder fits perfectly. I didn't
want to modify my existing pedal box casting, so I bought a spare on ebay,
did a little alum welding and machining and installed it. I had to make a
few small adjustments to the surrounding sheet metal, but nothing
noticeable. It works great.

I was told it was actually a Grp 3 or 4 model. I now have doubts about that.
I've never seen the back of a GT5 booster (or Grp 3 Grp4).
Does anyone actually know if any Pantera or DeTomaso used this larger 4-stud
booster? Or is it a Ferrari one perhaps?
I think it may be a bit larger than the 308 model booster though.
Photos attached.

Barry

Mike Drew MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 17:49:47 EDT 2017

 AJ

The booster is Pantera-specific as far as I know. I worked on a car recently
that had what appeared to be a stock booster, but upon examination I
discovered it had four studs on the back instead of three. A previous owner
had butchered the car to install it by drilling two new holes in the booster
mounting bracket.

I think you guys are on the trailer for the weekend....

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 18:03:47 EDT 2017

 I'm told the 308-series (308-GT4, 328, etc) Ferrari booster is a bolt-on
duplicate of ours. They come as a complete assembly and should not be
excessively high priced. Not sure if the F-car master cylinder swaps onto
Pantera brake lines, but if the OEM master cylinder is good, it will bolt
onto the new booster. Good luck, Asa Jay- J Deryke