[DeTomaso] To Paint or Not To Paint (engine bay)

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Fri Apr 7 17:51:21 EDT 2017

For the engine compartment of my Mach I, we used a product called "chip guard."  It was a texture similar to a bedliner spray but was painted over.  The final finish was shiny, but lightly bumpy.  The bedliner sprays are sort of porous so the hide bits of dust and dirt that are hard to clean out.  Versus the chip guard that was much easier to clean.  If I were to do it, I would try the chip guard route.  At worst if it gets all scuffed up, you put another coat of paint on.

Asa

⁣Sent using Jedi Mind Tricks​

On Apr 7, 2017, 13:32, at 13:32, Corey Price <coreyjprice at gmail.com> wrote:
>Julian,
>
>I've heard the body colored engine bay paint is hard to keep clean but
>hadn't considered that the bed liner material was hard as well.
>
>Corey
>
>On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Julian Kift <julian_kift at hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> People I know who have gone the truck bed liner or lizard skin route
>have
>> regretted it as it seems to attract dust and dirt and is a bitch to
>keep
>> clean.
>>

>> Personally, I like the smooth look, one Pantera is painted body
>color, the
>> other a gloss black but that's the way they came when I purchased
>them. The
>> gloss (GT5) I intend to redo with satin on next engine out as I think
>it's
>> the best for ease of paint maintenance.
>>

>> Painting the engine compartment body color would depend on that color
>for
>> me e.g. my GT5 is white and I really wouldn't want a white engine
>> compartment. Darker colors look better and in your case as you are
>going
>> with a Coyote engine, constant maintenance fettling access and
>ensuing
>> paint dings should not be an issue.
>>

>> Julian
>> ------------------------------

-------------- next part --------------
   For the engine compartment of my Mach I, we used a product called "chip
   guard."A  It was a texture similar to a bedliner spray but was painted
   over.A  The final finish was shiny, but lightly bumpy.A  The bedliner
   sprays are sort of porous so the hide bits of dust and dirt that are
   hard to clean out.A  Versus the chip guard that was much easier to
   clean.A  If I were to do it, I would try the chip guard route.A  At
[...]

     [2]http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/RegistryImages/RTHPNMG031
     89/
     RTHPNMG03189.asp
     Chuck