[DeTomaso] 351C Engine Weight Savings

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:09:07 EDT 2016

I think someone else already said this,...

Jack did an excellent analysis of weight savings.  It's a lot harder than you would think.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 12:56 PM, LSJ <lashdeep at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Will, thank you for the stock block weight.
>
> So there is an approx. 46 lbs reduction for the aluminum block.
> 70 lbs for Al heads?
> 20-30 lbs for Al intake?
>
> Maybe another 30lbs saved with Al water pump, Al timing cover, smaller Al air cleaner, switch to headers, Al valve covers, etc.
>
> Maybe more?
>
> We're getting to 200lbs pretty quickly.
>
> Swap to a Lithium battery (minus 35lbs), one piece race seats (minus 40 lbs),  and back to Magnesium wheels (minus 40lbs) and there is probably a lot more that can be done without really being noticeable (except the seats)?
>
> Is there potentially 300lbs that can be taken out of an otherwise completely stock looking Pantera?
>
> LSJ
>
> central
> wines-spirits   est 1934
>
> 625 e street nw
> washington, dc 20004
>
> centralwines.com
>
> facebook.com/CentralLiquors
>
> 202-737-2800

   [2]centralwines.com
   [3]facebook.com/CentralLiquors
   202-737-2800

   I weighed mine.  I believe it was something like 162 lbs.
   That^1s obviously more than an aluminum block, but I doubt you^1d
   <[7]detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of
   [8]pantera at vtc.net>
   wrote:
   >I believe that a bare 9.2 deck Fontana aluminum block weighs 116
   pounds
   >according to Jack Deryke. I didn't take the time to weigh mine before
   >the engine was built, but a bare Fontana block is very light.

   >To manage your subscription (change email address, unsubscribe, etc.)
   use
   >the links above.

   >message posted here to all past, current, or future members of the
   list.
   >They also grant the list owner permission to maintain an archive or
   >approve the archiving of list messages.
   use the links above.