[DeTomaso] ........fixing door rattles

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Mon Sep 26 15:09:27 EDT 2016

_the end of the screw scratches the inside of the glass_
_...._just the kind of thing I would have done.   Thanks, everyone.
John #5909
 Sent using Hushmail
On September 25, 2016 at 3:31 PM, MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:One thing
worth mentioning is a lesson I learned from Kirk Evans.
 The fiberglass door panels are secured to the metal door frames with
a bunch of tiny sheetmetal screws that run all the way around the edge
of the panel.   They are different lengths (at least on the cars I
have worked on, they are different lengths, but some might have been
changed?), but the significant factor is that the metal structure of
the door is significantly smaller than the inside diameter (if you
will) of the fiberglass panel.
 What does this mean?   It means that when you install the panel, if
you tighten the top screws first and then work your way around to the
bottom, the panel will be hanging slightly low.   If you tighten the
bottom screws tight, it will bend and distort the panel both at the
top and the bottom.
 The way to install the panel is to lay it in place and insert the
bottom screws first, then tighten them all the way.   This lifts the
panel as high as it can go.   Work your way around to the top, and
when you get there, the inside of the panel might be a quarter of an
inch above the metal structure below it.   That's why you need longer
screws there.   Insert the screws but only tighten them so that they
are just snug, not tight enough to start to distort the top edge of
the panel.
 This will also help prevent the awful situation where the screws are
inserted at the incorrect angle, and instead of running almost
parallel to the glass, they go into the door at a 45 degree angle, and
the end of the screw scratches the inside of the glass!
 DOH!