[DeTomaso] Keith Verges

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Fri Sep 16 09:23:02 EDT 2016

Dear Mike and Scott,

                  I remember Keith well.  Decades ago, we rented out the
Hallett road course for a private day of boy racing.  Keith showed up in
a civilian vehicle followed by a large two axle truck pulling a trailer.
His two helpers proceeded to pull out the ex Indy racer with the small
block Chevy engine built by a dirt track racing engine guy.   I watch in
amazement and fascination as they performed all of the tasks required to
make the race car ready to start!  During this time Keith discussed all
the trials and tribulations of converting from a full on Indy engine to
a methanol SBC and subsequent painful learning lessons at earlier track
events.  Finally after about an hour, the racecar was ready.

                 We had  a handful of cars.  Keith went out and blasted
around the track for about fifteen or twenty minutes and came back in.

                  When he got out of the car, I asked him how it went.

                  Keith replied, " Great.  We completed the whole
session without breaking down and it didn't catch fire once!"

                 That is one of my all time favorite quotes and my long
time benchmark for any track event!!

                  It is hard to believe that he is gone.

                                     Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles