[DeTomaso] Keith Verges

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Sep 15 22:47:09 EDT 2016

In a message dated 9/15/16 8 02 12, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
writes:

For those who were not aware, Keith Verges passed away early this week. He
was truly a wonderful person who will be missed.

>>>I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear this, and very surprised.

>I bought his Pantera from him several years ago, which he drove on the One
Lap to second place. The car was featured in an issue of POCA Profiles. He
loved the DeTomaso marque.

>>>Even after he sold his car, quite some time ago, he continued to be
passionate about Panteras.   He had a small but exquisite car collection
including a Ferrari F-40, but he was always 'one of us' at heart.   I believe he
was a lurker on this forum right until the end, either that or he viewed the
archives.   But once or twice a year he would reach out to me privately about
one thing or another he had seen there, just an extraordinarily friendly
guy.

He had a bright yellow late-model Corvette when I last visited him,
probably going on 15 years ago now.   It was equipped with a Vortech supercharger,
and had about eleventy billion horsepower, but was otherwise completely
stock in appearance.   It was frighteningly fast.   His license plate was
DEWALT, and when I asked him what it meant, he said, “It's my bright yellow power
tool!”   Clearly he was a guy with a great sense of humor.

He was very enamored of his Vipers, and I believe he had several of them
and was probably well-known in Viper circles.

>Keith was a great driver, had a keen engineering mind and was a cool cat
all around.   He co-owned APEX Driving Academy with former Pantera owner John
Holmes. Keith tirelessly helped others and gave of himself.

>>>I was at a track day at Texas World Speedway (the track we used for the
POCA Fun Rally in Houston) many years ago, and Keith had his
first-generation Spec Miata racer there.   He kindly offered me a ride.   I had no idea
what I was in for.

To put it mildly, he was an EXTRAORDINARY driver, and I'm not quite sure
how he was able to zip up his trousers, if you get my drift.   I remember one
particular lap where he was hounding a late-model Porsche 911.   We came
onto the front straight and the Porsche naturally pulled well and far away from
us.   I looked ahead and as the car neared the end of the banked portion,
the brake lights came on as he started slowing for the turn, the car then
made the bumpy transition to the flat portion of the track and turned in.

Keith arrived at the same spot and didn't lift--in fact he UPSHIFTED there,
pounded through the bump at full throttle practically all the way to the
apex of the corner, then pounded the brakes and flung the car towards the
apex.   We railed around, and by the next corner, he was right back on the
Porsche's bumper.   He had made up about 20 carlengths in no time flat, and the
Porsche wasn't hanging about, as I could see it slithering and sliding at the
limits of adhesion in front of us.   The Porsche driver courteously slowed
and waved Keith by, and we just blitzed ahead.   Within three corners the
Porsche was literally no longer in sight behind us.

Keith's passion for speed took many forms.   One of the very first 'country
club' tracks was the Motorsports Ranch on the outskirts of Texas.   Keith
was an early investor and part-owner of the facility, and when they built
luxury garages/condos there, he got one for himself.   He had a variety of
track cars, including a rather improbable 1990s Indycar powered by a small-block
Chevy V-8, which required a crew to run as it had no onboard starter.

>I don't have many facts other than it was probably a heart attack or
stroke. He was in his mid 50's and in very good health.

>>>That's a great understatment.   He was in super-duper health, the type
of guy who competed in triathlons and marathons if I'm not mistaken.   He
needed to keep fit to keep his edge behind the wheel and he took it very
seriously.   That's why his death is so shocking to me.

He was a lawyer, a partner in the firm of Figari & Davenport (I have no
idea why I remember that particular detail).   I confess I didn't know him
nearly as well as I would have liked, and thus I don't know what kind of law he
practiced, and whether or not it was overly stressful.

>Anyone who knew him would agree that the world is a poorer place without
Keith Verges.

>>>Old-timers in Texas, and on this forum, will remember him fondly.   For
the rest of you, suffice it to say that your life would have been greatly
enriched by getting to know him….

   In a message dated 9/15/16 8 02 12, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com
   writes:
   For those who were not aware, Keith Verges passed away early this week.
   He was truly a wonderful person who will be missed.
   >>>I am deeply shocked and saddened to hear this, and very surprised.
   >I bought his Pantera from him several years ago, which he drove on the
   One Lap to second place. The car was featured in an issue of POCA
   Profiles. He loved the DeTomaso marque.
   >>>Even after he sold his car, quite some time ago, he continued to be
   passionate about Panteras.  He had a small but exquisite car collection
   including a Ferrari F-40, but he was always 'one of us' at heart.  I
   believe he was a lurker on this forum right until the end, either that
   or he viewed the archives.  But once or twice a year he would reach out
   to me privately about one thing or another he had seen there, just an
   extraordinarily friendly guy.
   He had a bright yellow late-model Corvette when I last visited him,
   probably going on 15 years ago now.  It was equipped with a Vortech
   supercharger, and had about eleventy billion horsepower, but was
   otherwise completely stock in appearance.  It was frighteningly fast.
   His license plate was DEWALT, and when I asked him what it meant, he
   said, aIt's my bright yellow power tool!a  Clearly he was a guy with a
> [...]
   stroke. He was in his mid 50's and in very good health.
   >>>That's a great understatment.  He was in super-duper health, the
   type of guy who competed in triathlons and marathons if I'm not
   mistaken.  He needed to keep fit to keep his edge behind the wheel and
   he took it very seriously.  That's why his death is so shocking to me.
   He was a lawyer, a partner in the firm of Figari & Davenport (I have no
   idea why I remember that particular detail).  I confess I didn't know
   him nearly as well as I would have liked, and thus I don't know what
   kind of law he practiced, and whether or not it was overly stressful.
   >Anyone who knew him would agree that the world is a poorer place
   without Keith Verges.
   >>>Old-timers in Texas, and on this forum, will remember him fondly.
   For the rest of you, suffice it to say that your life would have been
   greatly enriched by getting to know hima|.