[DeTomaso] Fwd: Re: Oil Leak Fixed. What Torque?

Joseph F. Byrd, Jr. byrdjf at embarqmail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:32:54 EDT 2016

Not something I worked with, BUT
Assuming the valve cover gasket has an effective diameter of 23” and 0.3”
wide.
Using neoprene cork with 30% compression at 400 psi loading
The torque to provide 30% compression would be 4.7 ft-lbs.
Given the gasket will be compressing as the next bolt is tighten, several
passes at desired torque till no rotation would be needed.
Each of the 8 bolts would be pushing down 1,100 lbf for a total of 8,900 lbf
per valve cover
The “normal” ¼-20 torque resulting in a bolt loading of 45Kpsi (high grade
bolt) would be 6.3 ft-lbs

Sort of a rule of thumb I have observed, If allen, using a long key with the
short arm for torquing, using the thumb and index finger only provides the
max torque

Sorry for my ramblings,

Joe