[DeTomaso] '73 L on eBay in Whittier, CA/ best way to sell a Pantera?

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 16:34:18 EDT 2016

Well a lot depends on what you think this car should have sold for? Classic car values have peaked and appear to be on the way down marginally or at least stagnated.

eBay is in my opinion still the cheapest Worldwide exposure, it cost nothing to list a car (if you are not a dealer) and $125 if it sells. If as a seller you have a minimum requirement, then the reserve option provides a comfort factor.  A lot of classic cars end up on eBay with a high reserve and then sell privately post auction, it's a cheap way of advertising.

The seller of the particular car in question was obviously happy to let it go for less than $71,800 as when I first posted the link the reserve was already met at $65,000 ( I have no idea where the reserve was set), so how can we can draw conclusion this is not the best place to sell a Pantera? The seller should be quite happy having well exceeded his minimum price, it's all about what you think your car is worth and what you will take for it.

I attended Mecum in Monterey where 4 of 6 Pantera's went home unsold, so the sellers incurred transport fees both ways, some form of auction fee and still have a car to sell. Had they sold at auction then there's a buyers and sellers premium, considering this in relation to the orange car that just sold on eBay and buyer/seller premiums of 8% (on the low end, especially if you want a reserve);

A hammer price of $71,800 realizes the seller $66,000 and change and as a buyer your price is $77,544

Conversely, for the seller to realize the same $71,800 in hand as on eBay, the hammer price would have been $78,000 and as buyer your purchase price $84,240 and the seller is still incurring shipping fees to the auction.

I have also know people who have sold at auction, who had they sold privately would ave left a considerable amount of money on the table. I don't think there's one solution for all, you have to set a price that as a seller you are prepared to part with the car for and get the word out. I'd use eBay ad Hemmings if it were me, but then again we don't know motives of other sellers and how quickly they need a sale or whether it is a quick flip.

Julian