[DeTomaso] Younger generation interest in Panteras

Curt Hall cuvee at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 13 19:02:53 EDT 2016

Sounds like fun!
The hard part is to compete with tons of Money and Trailer Queens!

    On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:45 PM, Tom Shinrock via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> wrote:

   I was accepted to show my Pantera in the Des Moines Concours d'Elegance
  last weekend.  This is probably the classiest show in Iowa and brings
  exquisite cars from the surrounding states.  My car was in the Exotic
  class which included the following cars.
  1956
  Ferrari
  250GT
  1
  1965
  AC Cobra
  427
  2
  1973
  DeTomaso
  Pantera GTS
  3
  1981
  DeLorean

  4
  1985
  Porsche
  Carrera
  5
  1987
  Porsche
  Slantnose
  6
  1999
  Dodge
  Viper
  7
  2000
  Dodge
  Viper
  8
  2006
  Ford
  Ford GT
  9
  2007
  Aston Martin
  V8 Vantage
  10
  2008
  Ferrari
  612 Scag
  11
  2009
  Ferrari
  430 Scuderia
  12
  2009
  Nissan
  GTR
  13
  2010
  Ferrari
  California
  14
  I participated last year as well and placed 3rd in the Exotic class
  behind the 2006 Ford GT (with 300 miles on it) and a late model
  Ferrari.  You can see pictures of us getting our awards
  at http://www.desmoinesconcours.com/gallery/(end of the 6th row from
  the top).
  I didn't place this year.  As I predicted the '66 427 Cobra (fresh off
  a restoration) took 1st and the same Ford GT took 2nd.  An Aston Martin
  Vantage took 3rd.  I was surprised the '56 Ferrari didn't place. It was
  billed as 1 of 15 alloy body cars made.
  Anyway, the point of this email is that during the day it was very
  common for spectators to ask what the Pantera was.  I was taken by
  surprise when a young lad (maybe in his early 20s)  knew exactly what
  the car was.  After talking to him for a bit it came out that he knew
  what the car was because there was a Pantera in a couple of the racing
  video games he has played.  If it weren't for the games he would not
  have had a clue.  So now we know how to make our cars known to the
  younger generation.
  There was a other pleasant surprise in that POCA members James Velez
  and his wife, from Flagstaff, were on a driving vacation through Iowa
  and stopped by to chat when they saw my car.  Small world.
  Tom
  5186