[DeTomaso] Younger generation interest in Panteras

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Tue Sep 13 16:44:57 EDT 2016

I was accepted to show my Pantera in the Des Moines Concours d'Elegance last weekend.  This is probably the classiest show in Iowa and brings exquisite cars from the surrounding states.  My car was in the Exotic class which included the following cars.

1956

Ferrari

250GT

1

1965

AC Cobra

427

2

1973

DeTomaso

Pantera GTS

3

1981

DeLorean

4

1985

Porsche

Carrera

5

1987

Porsche

Slantnose

6

1999

Dodge

Viper

7

2000

Dodge

Viper

8

2006

Ford

Ford GT

9

2007

Aston Martin

V8 Vantage

10

2008

Ferrari

612 Scag

11

2009

Ferrari

430 Scuderia

12

2009

Nissan

GTR

13

2010

Ferrari

California

14

I participated last year as well and placed 3rd in the Exotic class behind the 2006 Ford GT (with 300 miles on it) and a late model Ferrari.  You can see pictures of us getting our awards at http://www.desmoinesconcours.com/gallery/ (end of the 6th row from the top).

I didn't place this year.  As I predicted the '66 427 Cobra (fresh off a restoration) took 1st and the same Ford GT took 2nd.  An Aston Martin Vantage took 3rd.  I was surprised the '56 Ferrari didn't place. It was billed as 1 of 15 alloy body cars made.

Anyway, the point of this email is that during the day it was very common for spectators to ask what the Pantera was.  I was taken by surprise when a young lad (maybe in his early 20s)  knew exactly what the car was.  After talking to him for a bit it came out that he knew what the car was because there was a Pantera in a couple of the racing video games he has played.  If it weren't for the games he would not have had a clue.  So now we know how to make our cars known to the younger generation.

There was a other pleasant surprise in that POCA members James Velez and his wife, from Flagstaff, were on a driving vacation through Iowa and stopped by to chat when they saw my car.  Small world.

Tom
5186