[DeTomaso] NPC - Anybody driven a new Fiat Spider?

Matt nwpantera at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 20:51:41 EDT 2016

Rob,
If you are looking for a ragtop you owe it to yourself to find a Honda
S2000 to test drive.
I have owned a few convertibles in my lifetime including 2 Fiat 124 Spyders.
But it had been a long time since those days and then I got the "gotta get
a ragtop" bug again 2 summers ago.
I set my budget around $20000 and proceeded to see what I could get for
that.
Test drove the Miata, which in stock form seemed underpowered. Car was ok
but nothing special other than the retractable hardtop feature,which was a
plus.
Considered the BMW Z3 but the styling looked a little too zonky for me and
was more money than I wanted to spend.
Thought about waiting for the new Fiat spyder to come out,though the early
specs on it didn't impress too much.

Then I stumbled upon the Honda S2000. Can you say Fast and Furious?
It seemed to have everything I wanted in a sporty car!
Good looks,limited production, plenty of power with the race proven
bulletproof V-Tec engine and no anti- anything except brakes, and Honda
quality and reliability.
I won't go into great detail here but the 2004-2005 AP2 models were the
best to get. The 2000-2003's were squirly and the 2006-2009's got
anti-driving fun computers.
I test drove a 2004 with 42,000 miles in excellent shape.and bought it on
the spot for $20,500.
Haven't looked back! It is a very impressive car for the money. Very well
designed. Good ergonomics and will accommodate tall drivers easily.
When you hit the "V-Tec zone" and get that boost of power you better be
ready to shift! I could go on and on....
I have no regrets at all. The car fits like glove(nice leather seats) and
is a blast to drive!
I don't know about the new Spyder but my sentimentality for Fiats had
dissolved away once I drove the S2000.
And the pedals are square in front of me :-)
Let me know if you want any more details about the S2000, but do tell us
about the Spyder if you drive one.

Matt
3584