[DeTomaso] Chassis stiffening kit install

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 6 13:03:08 EDT 2016

The problem is, most place force you to buy both!    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Dawn Spacecraft Team
Rosetta Sequence Team Lead
Phone: (818) 393-6261
Cell:     (818) 653-8213
Fax:     (818) 393-3147
thimes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov>
🇺🇸

From: DeTomaso <detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com<mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com>> on behalf of Asa Jay Laughton <asajay at asajay.com<mailto:asajay at asajay.com>>
Date: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:12 AM
To: "detomaso at server.detomasolist.com<mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>" <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com<mailto:detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Chassis stiffening kit install

For what it's worth, when I was in Castle Rock a few years ago and had
time to visit with Dennis and Adam at Pantera Performance Center,
Dennis essentially told me the same thing about the front trunk brace
(as I recall).  That it really wasn't necessary and only served to
reduce the amount of usable space in a street car that was only
occasionally tracked or open road raced.  I believe his recommendation
was to not bother with it for most purposes.

Asa Jay

Quoting Larry Stock <larrys at panteraparts.com<mailto:larrys at panteraparts.com>>:

If one actually was an engineer and analyzed this brace, it is utterly
useless. It braces the shear wall construction already built into the
upper A-Arm mounting points. Not much movement here with the factory job.
Lots of help is needed down below to take the twist out of the lower A-Arm
supports. Larry

On 9/6/16, 8:18 AM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Julian Kift"
<detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com<mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com> on behalf of
julian_kift at hotmail.com<mailto:julian_kift at hotmail.com>> wrote:

   I could start by saying leave it i the corner of the garage, unless you
   are building and out and out racer.... it is only purpose in a street
   car is to further limit your wife's luggage allowance, although
   maybe that could be deemed a positive if she is then limited to only
   taking briefs and bras...

   Others seem to have managed to bolt it in, sitting very low in the
   trunk (less than an inch between brace and trunk floor). To be
   functional it should sit directly behind the upper shock mounts.
   Julian