[DeTomaso] ZF service

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Sep 4 15:26:09 EDT 2016

In a message dated 9/4/16 3 35 16, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com writes:

> My GTS from 1972 has never had any service on the gearbox, other than
> changing oil.
> The gearbox spills a little oil in on the floor in the garage, not much,
> and I think that it howls a bit especially in 5th gear.
>
>>>That howling is almost assuredly the ring and pinion, rather than an
individual gear.   No two of these gearboxes sound alike.   One can be
whisper-quiet and the next might be quite loud, and there is nothing 'wrong' with
either of them.   I asked Lloyd Butfoy about the sound, and he gave a
philosophical shrug.   There is a very precise measurement that must be made when
setting up the ring and pinion gears for proper engagement, and depending upon
how they were manufactured (they are always run in matching pairs), there
might be some howling when all is said and done.

> >I am therefore thinking of a service with safety wiring etc., and to
> have a longer 5th gear, as it revs unnecessarily much on European motorways
> with 4,22 differential and 0,70 5th gear.
> It would be easiest for me to have the work done in Europe, if
> there are workshops here who can do the work?
>
>>>Europe's leading ZF man seems to be Paul Fleming in the UK.   He works
closely with Lloyd to ensure speedy parts delivery.   I know several people
on the continent who have had him do their gearboxes, and they were quite
pleased; one of them even got personal delivery, as Paul came to the continent
for a vacation and made a detour to deliver a finished gearbox!

> >Sending the gearbox e.g. to LLoyd Butfoy RBT in California would really
> be a long way, around 6000 miles from Copenhagen.
> If I must sent it to the US, the east coast would be a much shorter
> distance, but I don't know who is competent to do the job.
> All suggestions will be much appreciated, as well as - if possible - a
> rough idea about what it can cost.
>
>>>Ah, the costs.

I think Lloyd charges $1200-1500 for the basic job of opening it up,
cleaning it and putting it back together, but that doesn't include any necessary
parts.   The parts on these things can get quite expensive.   He did a
gearbox for Lori and it didn't need anything except for a 2nd gear synchro, and
safety wiring, and the total bill came to something like $2500-2700 I think.

However, a gearbox that is really worn out and needs gears etc. replaced
can quickly pass the $5000 mark.   And a Dash-1 will be more expensive, as the
parts are less available/less in demand and more expensive to produce.

I would imagine Paul's prices would be somewhat in line with Lloyd's,
keeping in mind that the parts have to be shipped from Lloyd to Paul so there is
additional expense incurred there.

The only way to know for sure is to ask Paul yourself--his e-mail is

paul at flemingpaul.wanadoo.co.uk

Tell him I sent ya! :>)

   In a message dated 9/4/16 3 35 16, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com

   paul at flemingpaul.wanadoo.co.uk